FeldmanHood:

Manhood, Feldman style.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

New Music:______!!!!!!!!!!

Refer to a long post a few days ago about my tribulations with contemporary music (that isn't classified hip-hop).

In short, a few weeks ago I pledged that I would expand my musical horizon (mostly rap/hip-hop, classic rock, small amounts of jazz, classical, electronica, misc.) vastly. I would let down my guard and explore what music was being made these days that was exceptional regardless of genre.

One last word - I'm going to try my best to affix genre after each CD. Ned, if your reading, or anyone else who may contend with my genre descriptions, or genre descriptions in general, here's my rationale. Even the vaguest, potentially inaccurate genre label will help an inquisitive listener hone in on music they are seeking, and to avoid music they seek to repel (although in my spirit, I've tried to be open minded---)

Some highlights from my last (Somalian) pull:

The Dodos- Visitor - indie
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes - indie
Pete Philly & Perquisite - Mystery Repeats - hip-hop

Here's what's new on my mp3 now (I've listened to a bit of it, but most of it will be listened to back and forth to Rochester in the next few weeks):

1st - Tindersticks - 'lounge rock' ? ? ?
2nd - Timbersticks - " "
Arrythmia - Anti-pop Consortium - hip-hop
Below the Heavens - Blu & Exile - hip-hop
Beware of the Maniacs - The Dodos - Indie
Big Calm - Morcheeba - trip-hop?
Blue Lines - Massive Attack - trip-hop
Dear Science - TV on the Radio - rock (?)
Desire in Uneasiness - Nadja - electronica of some sort?
Disintegration - The Cure - rock(?)
Earthtones - Crown City Rockers - hip-hop
Felt Mountain - Goldfrapp - electronica
Fortress - Protect the Hero - rock(?)
The Hungry Saw - Tindersticks - 'lounge rock'(?)
In the Evening - Mason Jenning - Indie
Like Swimming - Morphine - rock
A Matter of Time - Mike Posner - pop/hip-hop
Mindstate - Pete Philly & Perquisite - hip-hop
Murder Ballads - Nick Cave and The Bad - rock
The Odd Couple - Gnarles Barkley - hip-hop/soul
Offend Maggie - Deerhoof - Indie(?)
The Old Prince - Shad - hip-hop
One A.M. - Diverse - hip-hop
P.A.I.N.T. - Abstract Rude and Tribe Unique - hip-hop
The Ruiner - Made out of Babies - rock(?)
The Scenic Route - Panacea - hip-hop
Stunts, Blunts & Hip-Hop - Diamond D and the Psychotic Neurotic - hip-hop
Surfa Rosa - Pixies - punk
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie - rock
Violator - Depeche Mode - ??
Without You I'm Nothing - Placebo - rock(?)

FYI:

A documentary documenting (naturally) a cafe in south-central LA that spawned some of the most creative and talanted MCs (including Abstract Rude above, Freestyle Fellowship, one of my personal favorites and Jurassic Five, the most mainstream) over the past two decades, "This is the Life" (wikipedia link), directed by Ava DuVernay (a local resident/filmmaker)

1 comment:

  1. If you want new music, this posts a shit ton of it. http://silentsprings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete